+1 vote
3-year-old who battled traumatic complications from FLU-like symptoms FINALLY heads home after 44 days
Abby Kay Burns-Amesbury has been living a nightmare for the past 44 days as her precious son, Jase, has battled traumatic complications from flu-like symptoms.

“I am still in shock that a week ago our little boy was sleeping on my lap, throwing the football, running around with the dog and just starting to show as being sick. And today he is on life support,” she wrote in a gripping Facebook post on Sunday, Feb. 4.

Since that day, little Jase has endured rounds of blood work, been hooked up to powerful ventilators, suffered sudden heart arrhythmia, been sedated, undergone many MRIs, experienced pulmonary hemorrhaging, been kept on constant pain relief drip to keep him comfortable and more.

But Thursday, the family happily reported on their “Jase Strong” Facebook where they’ve been chronicling his health journey, that their little fighter has finally been discharged and they were headed home.

“We are so excited to finally get home and start the next chapter. With that being said, I know so many people have reached out and asked if we needed anything or offered to help in anyway,” his mother wrote. “Ryan and I are extremely grateful for all the love and support we have had during this horrific time. We honestly don’t know how to even start the process of thanking everyone for everything they have done for us. We also know there are a TON of people that are waiting to see Jase. Of course we want to see everyone as well… but due to Jase’s weakened immune system and brain trauma we really have to be careful of what we expose him too.

“Again…. thank you to everyone that has helped us along the way! We are forever grateful!,” she continued.

Once arriving home, the family enjoyed a much-needed PJ party in their living room.

“He is so happy! We are so happy to be home and enjoying being a family,” Burns-Amesbury wrote on Facebook.

He is so happy! We are so happy to be home and enjoying being a family. PJ party in the living room tonight ❤️❤️❤️

Posted by Jase Strong on Thursday, March 15, 2018

You can read more about Jase’s harrowing health ordeal below, which we were updating on :

“These last few days have been a blur. This little man has been put through the ringer… but tonight he is finally resting.

Saturday: Snotty nose, low grade fever and I noticed he had a molar coming through. So I just assumed it was from the tooth.

Sunday: Decreased energy level, high fever and coughing

Monday: Lethargic, deeper cough, high fever that wouldn’t break. We started this journey with Jase’s pediatrician who instantly saw a very tired little boy. Jase was admitted Monday afternoon and started on IV fluids, breathing treatments and Tamiflu.

Tuesday morning: I saw my little boy interested in his surroundings. But within a few hours it all changed… and for what we thought was the worse. Jase started to vomit but it was different. He couldn’t bring everything up. The cough progressed. He became very lethargic again and his breathing started to decline. Without hesitation, we elected to transport Jase to Munson Medical Center in Traverse City where he would have a better chance of recovering.

Tuesday afternoon: Jase took his 2nd ride in an ambulance. Within minutes of being seen by the next doctor she ordered chest radiographs and additional blood work. Hours later this little boy was fading. His oxygen saturation was declining. He needed 100% flow to keep his saturation in the mid 80’s.

After observing him and making adjustments in his meds, the doctor started to see him decline. He was really struggling to move air on his own. He started to become very mad when we touched him. He would cry out in sheer pain.

Wednesday morning: Within minutes of getting the blood work back at 4:00 a.m. an AreoMed chopper was ordered and our baby boy would be airlifted to Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids. At this point he was not critical but we didn’t want to wait any longer.

By the time Ryan and I made it to DeVos, Jase was put on a bypass machine to help move oxygen. Jase had now been on a continuous albuterol treatment and multiple doses of steroids. Needless to say he was being very hard to handle. He was upset with the mask he needed to wear. He was crying because he wanted water. He would panic for no reason. After talking to the doctors we elected to give Jase a small sedative to help him relax. All the medications were making him upset, but these medications were needed in his recovery.

We watched him struggle, panic, cry, scream, hit — and the numbers continued to decline.

For the last 12+ hours Jase has been on a very powerful ventilator and it was pushing a lot of pressure on his lungs. During this time he was put into a chemically induced coma to assure he does not feel anything that is going on. It also assures he will not move while these machines are running.

We can only see him for short periods throughout the day due to everything that is going on. There are multiple people in the room with him at all times plus all the machines. So physically you just don’t have room to move around and not be in the way.

Friday, Feb. 2: This machine is the one healing our little boy! Last night and today has been an uneventful day and we will take that. Jase is showing small signs of improvement. We will take the small victories. Stats are looking good. Blood work is slowly improving. EEG looks good – no signs of seizures. O2 levels are looking great!!

Saturday, Feb. 3: The doctors needed to replace his ET tube to a bigger size. Which they have been talking about for a couple days. When Jase was first intubated they were only able to pass a small (3.5) tube (this size would normally be for a 1-year-old) which has caused some issues trying to remove the crud from his lungs. So now he has a much larger (4.5) tube to help suction out the mucus in his lungs. Unfortunately even with the larger tube the ventilator kept stopping. They where unsure if the mucus was creating a plug at the end of the tube? The next step is to try a few different treatments to help break up the sludge in his lungs.

He had a sudden heart arrhythmia that had everyone on their toes. With a few meds, that heartbeat quickly went back to normal. There is a possibility Jase had a mild heart attack. He had a follow up Echo to make sure his heart was still healthy. And it is!

Jase was put on blood pressure medication due to an increase in pressure. Now that he has been on the medication the numbers are much better.

Jase is still on dialysis but over the next 12-24 hours we maybe able to remove him from that. His kidney levels are looking better and he is still producing a good amount of urine which tells us his kidneys are still working.

Jase has slowly been removed from the medication that keeps him paralyzed. He is still fully sedated so he can’t feel anything but he is starting to move. He started to react when we talk/touch him. Today his eye lids moved when I was talking to him, and when Ryan was talking to him and holding his hand, he moved his fingers!

Sunday, Feb. 4: Here we are seven days into battling the flu. I am still in shock that a week ago our little boy was sleeping on my lap, throwing the football, running around with the dog and just starting to show as being sick. And today he is on life support.

Jase is becoming stronger and stronger. The doctors are happy with his improvements but still have some concerns. They increased the amount of fluid that was pulled off of him today with the dialysis machine which is making Jase look more and more like himself. He is no longer looking so puffy. His eyes look better. His nose, fingers and toes are almost back to normal. And his tongue is no longer sticking out. There is talk about disconnecting the CRRT machine tomorrow. His kidneys are still producing urine and blood work looked even better today.

Monday, Feb. 5: I can finally run my hand on top of his head…no more wires. Step 1! Hopefully soon we can wash his hair
628 views Mar 19, 2018

Please log in or register to Comment this Media.